Being my first post after a break due to my dear Mom’s demise, i thought of publishing a dish that i learnt from my late mom. Lot of memories about mom lingers on my mind while writing her recipe for “Kinnathappam“…….
Kinnathappam is our famous traditional sweet and it’s a must on Eid and all other occasions in our house. It’s again a tamil / mallu duo cuisine… Kinnathappam, which can be translated to english as ‘kinnam’ which means ‘plate’ and ‘appam’ means ‘cake’. This traditional dessert still exist even after the advent of other fancy desserts and this has to be made with utmost care and attention to achieve the perfect taste and look.
While making this, I felt my mom’s presence all the time and was missing her a lot.. Her tasty kinnathappam cannot beat anyone’s how much ever the effort is…and may her triumph as the queen of our house remain forever and may her soul rest in peace………
- Raw Rice – 1cup, soaked in water for 3-4 hrs (You may also use a combination of Idli Rice and Raw Rice)
- Egg-1 or 2
- Sugar- 1/2cup – 1 cups( depends on your taste)
- Coconut milk, from fresh grated coconut -1 3/4 cups
- Cumins seeds – lil
- Cardamom whole – 2
- Ghee- 1-2 tbsp
- Soak 1 cup of rice in water overnight.
- Strain the soaked rice and grind it very smooth.
- Beat egg well and gradually mix in sugar and beat well.
- Add in the coconut milk and beat well.
- Finally add the grinded batter to the egg mixture and beat it.
- Strain this batter through a muslin cloth or a strainer with tiny holes. This would help to remove any coarse particles in the batter.
- Add Cardamom powder and cumin seeds to the batter.
- The batter constituency should not be too thick or too watery; it should have in between constituency.
- If you feel that the batter is thick, use more of the thin coconut milk or water to thin it down.
- Grease the stainless steel or cake pan with ghee.
- Pour the batter on to a stainless steel plate which usually comes with the steamer or a cake pan would work.
- Steam cook it for 15-20 minutes in medium heat, until a fork inserted into it comes out clean.
This can be served either cold or warm.