Haleem is a popular Pakistani / Hyderabadi dish and is very famous in UAE too. It’s more popular during Ramadan. Haleem is a very rich food made of wheat, meat (usually beef or mutton, but sometimes chicken or minced meat), lentils and spices.
Boneless Mutton – 2 kg
Chilli Powder – 1tsp
Haldi Powder – 1tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Dal Channa – 250g
Whole Wheat – 200g
Barley – 50g
Oil as required (3-4 tsp)
salt to taste
Fresh Coriander / Mint Leaves
1. Soak all three grains overnight.
2. Fry the meat in oil.
3. Add all the spices and 4 to 5 glasses of water.
4. Cover and leave on low flame to tenderize until the meat is extremely soft.
5. Meanwhile, put the grains and dal in a pot with 1 tsp salt,1/2 tsp chilli powder and 1/4 tsp haldi powder.
6. Add water and cook on low flame till very soft.
7. When both are soft, mix the meat and grains together and leave on a very low flame.
8. Keep mashing and mixing.
9. It starts to boil and becomes bubbly fry a little onion in oil and add to it.
10. Remove from heat and serve with garam masala, fresh coriander leaves, fried onion and lemon.