Whenever I(we) make sandwiches, I(we) cut off every sides of the bread. I cannot stand sandwiches with the brown edges still intact. But at the same time, i don’t like the sides to be thrown into the dust bin…so what do you do with them?? Sometimes, I powder them to make bread crumbs and while thinking to do something different with them…. there came this dessert idea…So next time you make sandwiches, pls don’t throw away those sides…do save them in the refrigerator to come up with this tasty pudding!!
- Leftover bread sides or 6 slices of bread teared into big pieces
- 1 tbsp Amul butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped nuts (cashews/almonds)
- 3/4 lt milk
- 1 egg
- 5-6 tbsps sugar (adjust)
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon rind or cinnamon pwd
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- raisins and cashews for garnish
- Add milk and chopped nuts to the bread pieces such that they are well soaked and keep aside for 5 mts.
- Beat egg in a bowl, add sugar, vanilla essence and lemon rind and combine well.
- Pour this mixture to the bread-milk mixture and combine.
- Grease a pan, pour the bread mixture into it, top with raisins and cashew nuts. Seal with aluminium foil.
- Place in a steamer or pressure cooker that is filled with 1 1/2″ of water. Steam on high flame for 15 mts.
- Turn off flame and allow to rest for 5 mts. Remove foil and cool. Cut into pieces and serve.